- Why turn it off?
- Turn off Windows 7 firewall
- How to disable the control panel
- Firewall: how to disable via the command line?
- Disable protection service through "msconfig"
- Shutting down the service through the services.msc command
- Configure Firewall Exceptions
When working with any computer you have to pay a lot of attention to security on the network.
Firewall is an effective protection tool installed by default in all versions of the Windows operating system and filtering incoming traffic for threats. Usually the firewall works as it should and does not let the user know at all.
But in some cases, protection does not work correctly, blocks useful programs and services, and it has to be disabled manually or set up exceptions.
Why turn it off?
This security tool protects the operating system from virus, hacker and other attacks from the outside. Unlike anti-virus programs, which are designed to delete already existing files, the firewall primarily filters all traffic coming to the computer and blocks potentially dangerous files and connections on the go.
By default, all traffic from all connection types is filtered:
- Wired Internet;
- Wi-Fi, Internet distribution from mobile devices, wireless modems;
- VPN, proxy and other complex connection schemes.
If the system considers the program to be malicious, it blocks it and sends a message to the user urging him to make a final decision. The user can agree with the opinion of the system, and may allow the program to be active by removing the protection or adding the file to the exceptions. Without the user's permission, the firewall does nothing, however, frequent system conflicts with third-party software force users to either carefully configure the exception list or disable the firewall at all.
Turn off Windows 7 firewall
You can turn off the firewall in Windows 7 versions, 8 and 10 in several ways, most of which are universal and work on all versions of the operating system.
How to disable the control panel
- Go to the "Start" - "Control Panel".
- In the upper right corner, change the “View” item to “Large Icons”.
- Select the “Windows Browser” item that appears (or enter this phrase immediately in the search bar in the “Start” menu and go to this section).
- In the left menu, select the "Enable or disable Windows Firewall" item (this section is accessible only to users with administrator rights).
- In this section, protection configuration is offered separately for work and home networks. Both sections must be disabled, otherwise for a substantial part of the connections the firewall will continue to filter. Twice it is necessary to select the shutdown point, near which it is written “not recommended”, and press the “OK” button.
If everything was done correctly, after sending the “OK” button, the last page will appear, only this time with a red design and a warning about disabling protection. This instruction answers the question of how to turn off the firewall in all three popular versions of Windows: 7, 8 and 10, but this is not the only way.
Firewall: how to disable via the command line?
There are several ways to use the command line in Windows:
- Pressing the key combination "Windows + R";
- Open "Start" and type cmd or cmd.exe in the search;
- Selecting "Start - Standard - Command Line".
So, how to turn off Windows 8 and 7 firewall using the command line:
- Open command line .
- Enter the text "netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off".
- Press the "Enter" key.
As in the case of the instructions above, this sequence of actions disables protection for all types of network connections (both home and work networks).
To reverse the protection via the command line, it is enough to enter the same text, only at the end replacing OFF with ON.
Disable protection service through "msconfig"
After shutting down the system in one of the ways above, the firewall will stop working and all incoming traffic will be processed by the remaining methods: antivirus and other software. But at the same time, the service responsible for the firewall and the functioning of the firewall will continue to work.
Important: The msconfig service is an important system element. Violation of its settings and configuration can lead to the most unexpected consequences, requiring the assistance of a specialist. Disabling system services is at your own risk.
The order off the service:
- Go to the "Start".
- Enter msconfig in the search bar.
- There should be 1 file with the corresponding name in the "Programs" category.
- Open the found msconfig file.
- In the window that opens, find and open the "Services" tab.
- In the window that opens, unchecks "Windows Firewall".
For the changes to take effect, you need to restart the computer - the system will offer to give its consent immediately. After rebooting, the computer will start without a working firewall.
Shutting down the service through the services.msc command
The easiest way to start a service is to use the command line, also by invoking it with the key combination “Windows + R” or by typing CMD in the search.
After opening the command line you need:
- Enter the "services.msc" command and press Enter.
- In the window that opens, find the item "Windows Firewall" and click on it with the right mouse button.
- In the opened context menu, select the item "Stop".
In this case, the protection system will only be suspended. The service will not work, but the computer does not need to restart.
Configure Firewall Exceptions
Often, you do not need to completely disable or remove the protection system: you just need to set up an exclusion list so that Windows does not conflict with obviously problem files and programs. Exceptions allow you to not use the removal of protection and teach the firewall to bypass and skip the necessary software.
Step-by-step setup process:
- Open the Windows Firewall configuration window (via the control panel or the search bar).
- In the menu, select the item “Allow a program or component to run through Windows Firewall”.
- Select the item "Allow another program."
- Click the "Browse" button and find the startup .exe program file that you want to add to the exceptions.
In order for the program to work without problems and network blocking, both checkboxes should be put: public networks, home and work networks. For the changes to take effect, restarting the PC is not required.